SeaNet - Case Study
SeaNet partners with Smilefish and AWS to develop a Fractional Yacht Ownership and Yacht Sharing application
Based out of Newport Beach, California, SeaNet provides services for Fractional Yacht Ownership and Yacht Sharing all around the United States and Europe. Yacht owners traditionally use their yachts for only an estimated 5 to 9 weeks a year. SeaNet’s yacht share concept provides all the benefits of traditional yacht ownership for the time an owner actually uses their expensive asset, all for a fraction of the cost. An appealing mobile application combined with transparent concierge services are the key allowing SeaNet to further enhance fractional ownership concept by a complete yacht management services, which includes scheduling, crew organization, maintenance, provisioning, and much more to provide yacht owners with a turnkey solution to the yachting lifestyle.
Pleasing Seanet’s busy and highly affluent clientele required a fair, transparent, and flexible reservation system that would be able to react to special requests. It needed to be able to handle the long term vacation and holiday planning and provide flexibility to utilize the asset for spontaneous trips. The requirements called for the ease of a mobile application combined with an administrative web application that would allow for a flexible concierge service. In addition, the solution needed to be expandable to integrate reputation management, expenses, fleet maintenance, and analytics among other services in later project phases.
Seanet evaluated several off-the-shelf and custom solutions and decided to partner with Smilefish. The Smilefish Data Fabric solution provided more than sufficient turn-key services to be customizable for all data, process, and governance needs. In addition, Smilefish offered customizable mobile application templates to generate appealing iPhone and Android applications with low maintenance due to its single code base in ReactNative.
Implementation in the AWS Cloud:
Smilefish offers a pre-configured Data Fabric Solution in the AWS cloud which stricly follows the AWS Well Architected Framework. This combination not only allwed SeaNet to drastically reduce development time and cost, it also ensures best practice for operational excellence, security, reliability, performance, and cost control.
- A cost efficient serverless AWS Aurora database allowes for complex scheduling queries at scale and meets high-availability requirements with seamless failover in the US and Europe.
- A completely serverless implementation of all data service APIs in AWS Lambda allowes for cost efficiency, low maintenance, and robust scalability.
- The AWS Simple Notification Service (SNS) is deeply integrated in the web services to swiftly inform yacht owners or maintenance personal about scheduled events or spontaneous changes.
- The analytics dashboards are supported by Smilefish Data Fabric APIs that utilize AWS Aurora queries. Additionally, these APIs allow for self service analytics (i.e. Tableau)
- AWS CloudWatch monitors the system's health and notifies admin users via AWS SNS should manual interference be needed.
The preconfigured Smilefish Data Fabric in AWS and the customizable mobile application templates allowed SeaNet to present an MVP solution to a selection of yacht owners within 3 months and to rollout the fully functional product within 6 months. Yacht owners, captains, concierge, and maintenance personnel fully rely on the SeaNet reservation system as their core business solution. Yacht owners appreciate the application’s ease of use and the flexibility to contact the concierge service, which both tie into the same backend service. The application seamlessly scaled for the international rollout and there have been no unplanned outages. SeaNet and Smilefish are meanwhile planning to expand the solution into reputation management, fleet maintenance, and expense control.